The PRIDE Council’s mission is to organize community resources including corporate, education, health, government and religious organizations to improve the lives of Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender, and Questioning LGBTQ youth and adults in Delaware. Join our Facebook Group today.
To financially support initiatives for the LGBTQ community use UWDE designation code #538 or click the “Give”.
The group is addressing the unique challenges facing the LGBTQ community with respect to equity and inclusion in our schools, healthcare system and the workplace.
- LGBTQ youth are almost twice as likely as non-LGBTQ youth to report that they do not have an adult to talk to about personal problems
- Parents, teachers, friends and community stakeholders often feel unprepared to support LGBTQ youth
- LGBTQ adults can face unique health risks, but their needs are not always met by the medical community
- LGBTQ adults can face discrimination in the workplace and need to be able to bring their whole self to work
The PRIDE Council’s primary goals are to improve the school experience and education outcomes for LGBTQ youth and to increase the number of LGBTQ youth and adults who are healthy and avoid risky behaviors.
To address some of these problems, the PRIDE Council is focused on:
PRIDE for Youth
- Forming and enhancing Gay-Straight Alliances (GSAs) in middle and high schools throughout Delaware to provide a critical support system for LGBTQ youth
- Fostering a mentoring program through Big Brothers Big Sisters of Delaware
- Hosting a statewide annual Anti-Bullying/Gay Straight Alliance Summit
- Providing The ABCs of LGBTQ Youth “cultural competency” training for middle and high school faculty and staff; and United Way of Delaware partner agencies that provide behavioral health counseling to children, youth and their families.