The Delaware Racial Justice Collaborative (DRJC) is using its collective infrastructure and resources to amplify and support community-based initiatives that promote racial equity and social justice for all. DRJC is comprised of 200+ individuals representing nonprofits, community organizations, and business across the state focused on this issue. Specific initiatives will be fueled through community feedback and developed in partnership with grassroots leaders, civic leaders, and community organizations.
Who We Serve
People of color in Delaware see many examples of ways they are not treated equitably as the result of government, corporate, and social policies that leave them angry and frustrated. We want to help them find safe and affordable housing and healthcare, send their children to good schools, feel safe walking around their neighborhoods at night; have easy access to bank branches with low-cost checking and savings accounts; find good jobs that enable them to take care of their families; and ensure their children can afford college after graduation.
Where We're Heading
Our long-term goal is to eliminate systemic racism in Delaware by driving transformative gains in racial equity and social justice. We are doing that by:
- Raising money through the Racial Equity & Social Justice Fund.
- Establishing a platform that helps amplify the voices of organizations and individuals on advocating for change.
- Sharing best practices to address instances of institutional racism.
- Developing a list of legislative priorities and advocating for them during the next session of the General Assembly.
What Can You Do?
DONATING: United Way of Delaware established the Delaware Racial Equity & Social Justice Fund (the Fund) as part of an integrated, statewide effort with other nonprofits, grassroots organizations and the community-at-large. For more info, go to https://uwde.org/4equity/.
VOLUNTEERING: We’re approaching this effort at both a county and statewide level. If you’re want to help, contact Michelle Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.orgD
Why Is this Important?
Our efforts will help reduce the systems in Delaware that create and maintain racial inequity in nearly every facet of life for people of color. This includes disparities in many “success indicators” such as wealth, the criminal justice system, employment, housing, health care, politics, and education.
What We've Done So Far
- Raised nearly $1M through the Fund (as of 11/1).
- More than 8,000 Delawareans joined the 21-Day Racial Equity & Social Justice Challenge, powered by United Way of Delaware and YWCA Delaware.
- Worked with City of Wilmington, the Wilmington Community Advisory Council, and the Longwood Foundation to fund 12 “learning pods” that support remote learning during the pandemic.
- Aligned our efforts with the original DRJC leaders.
- Working with state lawmakers on a public policy agenda for the next General Assembly session